Verizon and AT&T provided free cell phone towers to cover McCain's Sedona ranch (plus a handful of other residents, who are not currently cell phone users). The corollary with Ted Stevens? McCain is a senior member of the Senate Commerce Committee, which oversees the Federal Communications Commission and the telecommunications industry, and several of his campaign officials, including campaign manager Rick Davis, have worked as lobbyists for Verizon and AT&T.
"Three telecommunications specialists consulted by The Post said the proposed site covers so few users that it is unlikely to generate enough traffic to justify the investment. Robb Alarcon, an industry specialist who helps plan tower placement, said the proposed location appeared to be a 'strategic build,' free-of-charge coverage to high-priority customers. A former Verizon executive vice president, who asked not to be named because he worked for the company, agreed with Alarcon, saying, 'It was a VIP kind of thing.'"
http://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=4920720509003389897
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I see the clear the connection. Mccain is just a huge earmarker. He really brings the money to Arizona
Who said anything about earmarks? Stevens was indicted by a federal grand jury on seven counts of failing to properly report gifts related to renovations to his home and alleged gifts from VECO Corporation.
My point is that you are trying to relate Mccain to Ted Stevens when they have nothing in common. Mccain is and has alwyas been against people like Stevens and that has been a clear focus of his political career. To me this seems like a complete smear however you say that your blog is to defend democrats? A little confused. Also if you want me to get into the gifts democrats receieved from fannie and Freddi I'd be happy to. Also, the housing crisis seems a little bit more important now than the cell-phone industry.
The title of this post is definitely over-the-top inflamatory. But I maintain that there is a direct parallel between the gift that McCain received and the gift that Stevens is now being prosecuted for having received.
I'm pretty sure that what I said was that my blog is to defend Obama and attack McCain. I'm much less sanguine about defending Democrats in general, and I'm pretty sure you'll find that's not the theme of my posts.
My attack on McCain actually all started when I received a copy of your "The Real Barack Hussein Obama" slideshow, which was a total smear fest (with several mistruths). I started creating one about McCain and was never able to finish it because there's so much there. Hence, my blog, to keep track of it all.
I'm happy to correct any factual errors in my blog, but please don't whine if you don't like the facts or the tone that I take. I'm simply playing the same game that Republicans have been playing for the past 3 election cycles.
The housing crisis *is* important, but it doesn't excuse McCain from exercising poor judgement in this case. It's all part of the man. Republicans want to attack Obama for everything from stupid remarks to taking contributions from Fannie and Freddie and so on. Well, game on! Two can play that game.
At the end of the day, my assessment is that the number of flip flops, poor judgement calls, lack of character, questionable associations and so on, on the part of McCain far far outnumber those of Obama. And that's the point.
At least you admit the title is over the top. I'm sure if I did a post: Obama: The Secret Terrorist, or something like that which isnt true then there would be outrage.
About the slideshow, that was the first of about 5 edits I would make and was basically a rough draft compared to the others. It is now 3 shows and if you want to see them just let me know.
I don't recall whining about anything. I assume the game by Republicans you are citing is one of fear mongering and smears. As you can probably tell the democrats are doing the same thing this election with the economy, some even saying this is worse then the great depression.
Obama and Mccain both committed to not running any attack ads but neither has kept their word. But, Obama has spent more money on them.
Republicans are happy to play the game. Obama's said some pretty dumb things.
Like I already said most politicans are corrupt, unfortunately. I wish they werent but the fact is that they are. In no way am i excuising mccain for this, but you have to see that the longer you are in big politics, 26 years versus 143 days, there will be more "scandals". Its sad but it is true.
Last point is something that worries me. I fear that the same pattern will continue. It seems like anytime someone really goes after Obama they are called or seen as racists. I'm not going to name specific examples, but I have noticed that over time. My fear is that for this election and for his presidency, lets hope not, that we will really never know what he is doing. Especially becuase the media is in the tank for him and he will most likely have the house and senate. And if he has 60 in the senate, probably more like 57, then he can do whatever he wants. I just want your opinion on that thought.
I know the republicans screwed up with all 3 houses, but at least there was the media to keep them in check. If obama wins there will be no system of checks and balances. Althoug Pelosi will have the real power which is worse.
Post a Comment