Monday, October 27, 2008

Surprising quote about Palin from McCain aide

"Her lack of fundamental understanding of some key issues was dramatic," said another McCain source with direct knowledge of the process to prepare Palin after she was picked. The source said it was probably the "hardest" to get her "up to speed than any candidate in history."

Source: CNN.com

4 comments:

JAO said...

Surprising quotes from Biden on the campaign trail:

*Higher taxes are patriotic

*Obama will be tested within first 6 months

*"When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, 'Look, here's what happened."

*Presidency doesnt lend itsekf to on the job training

*Hilary Clinton is more qualified then I am for VP

*"Stand up, Chuck, let 'em see ya."----Chuck however is in a wheelchair

Now, of course each candidate has a series of gaffes. Thats just what happens. But these are just dumb. Biden is making himself look dumb. You have to admit there is a difference between Obama saying there are 57 states and Biden saying high taxes are patriotic. Do you really think Biden has done well over the course of the campaign?

JSJ said...

Did you read my post? This is not another Palin gaffe. This is something said about Palin by someone in the McCain campaign who was involved in prep'ing her.

People on both sides of the aisle have said that our enemies will test the new President. Biden was not saying anything new. Secretary Chertoff said it, and Lieberman said it on June 29, 2008: "Our enemies will test the new President early."

The Clinton comment is hardly an admission of being unqualified -- it's possible to be less qualified than someone else and still be qualified. Besides, it was a statement of admiration rather than a statement of fact. I trust you are capable of telling the difference.

JAO said...

Ya, but what I said is relevant to Biden being scary. He has experience but he scares me a lot, possibly more then Obama.

About, testing the President, hear me out and think through this logically. Don't you think our enemies are more likely to test someone like Obama more so than Mccain. First of all whether you believe this or not, I think in others eyes Mccain comes across as a real no-nonsense don't back down kind of guy, where Obama comes across as more of an appeaser. As history tells us, the appeaser gets tested and the hard-ass doesn't, My examples, political parties are truly a coincidence, are Kennedy and Carter and Eisenhower and Reagan. Carter and Kennedy were both young, and relatively new and they were both tested early.

However, the enemies knew Eisenhower and Reagan and knew they weren't going to put up with anything, and as a result tested them less.

I know what you are saying about the Clinton thing. But remember, at the time, many were upset Hillary was not chosen as the VP and so Biden may have been pandering to that group, not that that is a gaffe necessarily though.

JSJ said...

I see your logic about our enemies being more likely to test Obama, but so what? I'm far more concerned about McCain's ill-temperment and willingness to go to war, which is likely to result in more casualties than a few incidents from our being tested.

This is probably a topic unto itself, and I haven't done a detailed study, but from what I can tell, the number of casualties under Clinton from attacks and combat operations was far more reasonable than what we have seen from the Iraq war, especially when you factor in the injured, the mentally incapacitated, suicides, and the ruined families from continous stop losses.

Obama has demonstrated that he is cool as ice under pressure. I am very comforted by his level-headedness, thoughtfulness, and decision making process. I believe he's the kind of guy that will pull all the right people together at a time of crises.

The Iraq war was completely mismanaged. McCain can't even manage a campaign.